Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Shark Bait! A Review on Daymond John's The Power Of Broke

I love him! He truly is the "people's shark", and I like what this book is about. It's definitely motivating and speaks straight to the heart, getting right to the point: when you've lost everything and you've got nothing to lose, you get to go for broke because that's all you've got. Your broke-ness! Daymond puts it better:

"The power of broke is the half-court shot you fire up with time running out and the game on the line," he writes early in the book. I was fired up and really identifying both with him and with the many personal stories he includes of other people who were down and out before they became up and coming.

There are a couple of drawback for me, though, which pushed this from five stars down to three. First, I found the cover a bit boring and I didn't think the title was as powerful as it could have been. In fact, I looked right over this selection when I was picking out my next book to review. It was only when I happened to take a second look and see who wrote it that I finally found interest in it. I like the pic of Daymond John but it looks unimaginative and doesn't have any flair. The title, while apt, didn't stand out to me either.  Next, the book took a bit for me to get comfy in. When a book grabs me by the shoulders, tugs me into it, woos me so hard I don't want to stop reading (even for chocolate!), THAT'S when I fall in love with it. This book is sound, it's a powerful idea, I am going to read and re-read this book but it has more the feel of a solid old friend, not terribly exciting but right as rain and down to earth.

I was given this book for review by Blogging For Books, but the opinions in my review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment